Monday, July 23, 2012

House Tornado

Every corner of my house seems to be in perpetual motion.  The eat-in kitchen area once housed (of all things) an eat-in kitchen table.  Beside it, a bouncy seat, later replaced by thick blankets, replaced by a playard, replaced by an 'exersaucer'... (is that really what we are calling those things?) replaced by free space and a small selection of organized toys on a shelf. The kitchen table was recently sold on craigslist, and replaced by other comfy chairs we had from upstairs.  Now it is a lounge, a cafe area, a place for Benjamin to move and interact with us.  I love it.  (For a future post: I think I will skip a lot of the contraptions i.e. the devices that hold and entertain babies if ever I go down this path again, read: baby #2.)

Similar switch-a-roos have occurred throughout the house.  Most namely is his bedroom.  Sure, when you are pregnant, you take great care in creating the most welcoming environment for your little newbie.  Everything is chosen and placed just so.

But... the thing is, that room, I later learned, wasn't "just so" for his needs.  It took about 8 or 9 months before my husband finally relented, taking apart the crib.  <I treaded lightly, because this dear man had put this crib together not once but twice before, and he feared having to do it a third time, I believe.>

The dreaded crib.  Never in my pregnancy could I have imagined how my dear son, and subsequently I, would hate that thing.

No, we much prefer the nursing-in-arms method of going to sleep, which does not lend itself to crib life.  Baby screams when baby is put down in the crib.  Must not leave baby.  Therefore... we have enjoyed a wonderful period of co-sleeping that I never expected.  Nursing to sleep is a whole other subject... so let is suffice to say for now that it is simultaneously bliss and work.  The work part is only for me.  The bliss part is equally shared.

In addition to the crib giving way to a floor bed, we have decided to outfit the whole room with all of the Montessori trimmings.  More on Montessori later, believe me.  I had been pondering this change for a good month or two, making tweaks and adjustments here or there, reading up on it, when I finally asked David to help me with some design decisions.  He, in turn, wanted to paint the room and build a shelf, and so between the two of us, in no time at all we have turned Benjamin's adorable little nursery into a major disaster area.  You can barely even walk in there right now.

But David assures me that in a day or two, Ben will be back in action in his room.  I'm excited.  The things that excite me these days.  I can't wait to put things on shelves.  Seriously.  This is where it's at.

A picture of the completed project will be coming soon....


No comments:

Post a Comment